December 21, 2011

My Version of The Best (And Worst) Of 2011

Day 21-Pop Culture


I thought I would take a little break from the heavy-duty topics and focus on something a little bit more fun. This is just my personal view on the music, movies/TV, and books that came out during 2011. 


Music


I hate to say this, but it seems like a lot of popular music these days tends to get repetitive year after year. The beats and the lyrics are different, but the underlining message is the same. That doesn't mean that it isn't a good song, but I feel as though originality is slowing fading into the background. It's the reason many artists tend to be "good" but not necessarily timeless. 


Some of these aren't only just from this year; I can't remember when exactly a lot of them came out, but I know that the majority of them are from 2010-2011. 


I absolutely LOVED....


Good Feeling-Flo Rida


Teenage Dream-Katy Perry


Long Hot Summer-Keith Urban


Without You-David Guetta ft. Usher (or anything by Usher, for that matter)


Memories-Kid Cudi


Just A Kiss-Lady Antebellum


S&M-Rhianna 


Tonight, Tonight-Hot Chelle Rey


Till The World Ends-Britney Spears


Country Girl (Shake it For Me)-Luke Bryan


Dirt Road Anthem-Jason Aldean


Headlines-Drake


Love After War-Robin Thicke; I think he's just really under-appreciated as an artist. 


I wanted to hate, but it eventually grew on me....


Super Bass-Nicki Minaj


Mike Posner-I saw him in a concert that he put on for my school at the beginning of the year, and I haven't been able to get him out of my head since. 


Give Me Everything-Ne-yo and Pitbull; I don't really like the overall message of the song, but it's catchy


I'm kind of done with....


LMFAO


Taylor Swift-Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate her; I'm just not crazy about a lot of her music because it sounds so high school. Every time I hear a song of her I wonder "now what boy might this one be about?" It's like how Kelly Clarkson tends to write about how much relationships suck- can you change the subject every once in awhile?


Lady Gaga-She has an amazing voice, but I really don't understand a lot of her songs these days. Lately, I find myself missing "Poker Face"


Jason Derulo




Movies/TV


Really enjoyed....


Thor-I would take Chris Hemsworth over his older brother any day


Bridesmaids


The Fighter


Soul Surfer-not your typical cheesy Christian movie, thankfully;  I bawled my eyes out for most of it


Friends With Benefits


Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol 


Didn't care for.....


The Green Lantern


Larry Crowne


No Strings Attached


The Hangover II


And as far as TV goes....


I don't usually have all that much time for TV at school, but my must sit down for would be "Once Upon  A Time." Granted, it hasn't been picked up for a full season yet so I probably shouldn't get completely hooked right now, but so far I'm loving it. I really want to find myself a sitcom, if anyone has any recommendations. 


I'm sorry, but I think the Kardashians are way past their heyday.  I loved them at first, but then after Kim's rush to the alter and only being married for seventy-two days, I lost a lot of respect for them. You'd think once they all started getting married, they would have the brains to turn the cameras off. I don't think they would have any problems staying famous, if they ran their businesses in the right way. I could go on...


Just get rid of Teen Mom already. One season is enough. 


Books


I can't remember who the author was, but I really enjoyed the biography about William and Kate. It was refreshing to read what seems like a genuine love story, especially in the midst of all these other couples breaking up. And I did get up at three o'clock in the morning to watch the wedding, thank you very much. 


"Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks was also a page-turner. I don't understand why so many people consider him a disgrace to literature, other then maybe because most of his novels after "The Notebook" haven't been able to stack up. But I honestly couldn't put the last one down!


I can't say there was a book that I hated, but I didn't care much for "Devil In The White City." It looked like a great story, but there were so many details and I wasn't sure what to focus on exactly. It got to the point where I had to stop reading it because it was giving me a headache. 


I still want to get my hands on Rob Lowe's autobiography, as well as Tina Fey's. I think I make more lists of books that I want to read as opposed to actually reading them. 


Well, there you have it. While you may or may not agree with my opinions, it was an interesting year. Hopefully by next year "reality" will stop taking over, Hollywood might become classy again, and for crying out loud, I want Justin Timberlake to start bringing sexy back again! He's a decent actor, but he needs to start making music. 

No comments: