December 11, 2011

Giving What Has Been Given To Me

Day 11-Gifts


"The purpose of life is to discover your gift; the meaning of life is to give your gift away." ~David Viscott
What is your gift to give?


A couple of days ago, I wrote a blog about people that have had an impact on my life this past year. I've always been one to believe that the greatest things we do for others, are often the things that we're never aware of. I have always struggled with wanting to do something wonderful for others; there are moments when I feel like all I've ever done is so small and insignificant compared to the rest of the world. But I hope the following has created somewhat of a ripple effect, both for those that know me well and those that don't. 


The first is what I now understand to be God-given talent; it started from when I was about three or four years old, spitting out whatever crazy story came to mind, to whomever would listen. Over the past seventeen years, writing is no longer just a simple hobby that I automatically am able to articulate. It is a passion that comes as naturally as the ability to breathe. I have said before that I don't do it just for the sake of entertaining or expressing my own feelings. But rather, I also do it because I want to teach something that I find both meaningful and valuable. Learning isn't just about flipping through a textbook and reiterating information; the greatest of lessons often come from hearing the stories of the other people. Perhaps my own story will do that someday. 


The second involves the way I live my life on a daily basis, and what I have done in my life thus far. I have been through enough to know not to take anything for granted, and to show my appreciation for what I've been given. I've been told that there are things I'll never do, places I'll never go, and goals I'll never reach. Somewhere down the line, I always manage to prove them wrong. Through living out each day and writing about it, I hope to inspire others; that they may learn to never give up on their dreams, and that any doubt or skepticism should be a motivation to keep moving forward. Never let anybody tell you what you're capable of, because the one person that tends to know you best is yourself. 


I look at this year as the year of finally knowing what it means to be myself, and that in turn has given the ability to love, be kind and show compassion for others. I always try to be the best person I can be; the best daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece and friend. For a long time, I have wanted to just be there for somebody and take care of them, as opposed to it being the other way around. Without any of these things, I don't know if I would have all that much of a purpose. 

What I have been given is not meant for my own enjoyment, but to be a blessing to others and make a difference. Perhaps I will never know of the effects, but that is not a reason to stop or believe that I have given all I can give. 

The greatest things we ever do in life, are often the things that will go unrecognized

No comments: