October 18, 2013

Life Lately: In Seasons






It's no secret that over the last couple of years, fall/autumn has become one of my favorite times of the year. While nature begins to slowly change and the air starts to chill, it's also a time where I feel incredibly close to the people around me. I've taken to calling in the "wrapped in a warm blanket" type feeling. Everything is just warm and cozy and comfortable.

These special (and somewhat sentimental) occasions are what keep me sane when the homework load gets heavy, or I experience a bout of senioritis like an overnight flu bug. My friends and I have celebrated a plethora of birthdays, went to an orchard/pumpkin farm and indulged in everything relating to pumpkins and apples (with a semi-photo shoot to boot), cried over the Cory Montieth tribute while watching Glee, and other memories that seem insignificant to the rest of the world. However, they mean the world to me.

As I look back on the fall season as a whole, I've noticed that it's when a lot of wonderful, crazy, and even life changing events have taken place. In the span of four or five years, I've met and found many of my closest friends, grew deeper in my faith, and learned how to deal with painful aspects of my history. And it suddenly occured to me that while some seasons are better than others, life truly does happen in seasons of love. 

It's not always deep conversations over wine or hot chocolate. Schedules are hectic, and there are weeks and days where prayer requests and "thinking of you" via text takes the place of bear hugs and face-to-face interaction. While I do believe in not letting to-do list's and school work dominate quality time, I'm beginning to understand the other side of the coin: it's not a matter of whether or not you want to, but whether or not you can without reaching the point of exhaustion. Right now I'm walking a thin line of packing so much in all at once. It's frustrating because on one hand I feel like I'm on a race against time, trying to make the most of every moment before it all runs out. On the other, that's all you really can do; appreciate the time you do get with people, even if it's small and insignificant when it's happening. 

That's where I've learned to appreciate random run-in's, where all you can do is exchange a hug and "how are you?" that lasts all of five minutes before you have to go to class or run to catch up with whomever. That's where I've not learned not to focus on what place somebody has in my life or try to be best friends when every person that I know. I'm not going to obsess over who has treated me right and who hasn't. It's just not worth the energy, especially now. 

Leaves turn. Things happen. Don't just measure good by what you have or what you can give, but how you grow.

photo credit: blmiers2 via photopin cc

No comments: