December 08, 2010

Whats makes ME different...really does make me beautiful

December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful


I tend to have trouble with topics like this because I don't want to come off as though I'm bragging about myself or that I have a snobby attitude. But then I realized that it's perfectly ok to list the good qualities about yourself; in our culture, all people seem to do these days is beat themselves up for their mistakes or the qualities that they cannot stand about themselves. I think it's important to take some time when you can and think about what you absolutely LOVE- what you believe that people love about you. 

My attitude/outlook on life is something that I find to be different as well as beautiful. Growing up, I became incredibly observant because I spent more time watching people do things than I actually did them myself; I dabbled in sports over the years, but I always found it much better (and easier) to either stick my nose in a book or try to understand what was going on in my siblings' athletic activities. Therefore, I began to notice things that most people didn't. When I began to enter my teenage years, I always had time to think, reflect and question. And because of both of those things, I believe my maturity level went up a lot faster than most of my peers; that's probably the reason why I connect better with those of older age groups. 


It can be a double-edged sword: when some (or many) don't see your perspective on certain aspects, it can and most certainly does get frustrating. I don't normally discuss this much, but there have been moments in my life where I've felt completely excluded; thats why I hate it when people just make assumptions about what I'm physically able to do (or not do, in some cases) as opposed to talking to me about it and trying to grasp where I'm coming from. 


In regards to thinking, I know that I over thing and over analyze situations and ideas. In turn, that causes my insecurities to flare up like older ulcer wounds that I thought had been healed a long time ago. My over-active imagination will occasionally get the best of me when it comes to that kind of stuff, but I wouldn't trade it for anything; the way I think and my thoughts on life in general are translated into my writing. Without that, I don't think I would be the writer that I am today. 


The second difference I cherish about myself is how I always do my best to love other people, no matter what kind of person they are. I do this not just because I love making people smile or being a good friend, but also because I know what it's like to not feel accepted or appreciated exactly as you are. I firmly stand by the quote "Do unto others as you would want done unto you" 


I'm sure there are those that wonder why I love hugs so much; physical touch is not only my love language (the way that people can show love to me) but it's my own way of saying that I care about someone (I have really strong arms and have a habit of squeezing the crap out of people; please don't take it as me trying to hurt you if that happens). To me, the best way of expressing how you feel about someone through a hug, kiss or any form of physical affection, speaks more volumes than words ever could. 


Does what I mentioned above make me better than anyone and everyone else? Definitely not. But allows me to better handle the circumstances that I face each day and also enables me to live a much more joyful and satisfying life. I am human and I do make mistakes, but I think it's wonderful to be reminded of why I am here: to not only live my own life, but to make a difference in the lives of others as well. 





No comments: