December 13, 2010

Stop thinking and start doing!


December 13 – Action
When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step?
I'm very much a dreamer; I go for hours, sometimes an entire night thinking about something that I want to accomplish (especially if my Ipod is on). My biggest problem is that I'll often just think about it and do nothing else; but what I've learned is that in a lot of cases if you really want something, you have to turn the music off, get off your butt and go get it. 
As I discussed in my previous post, I'm a writing major, yet haven't exactly felt as though I've had enough time to sit down and put my pencil to paper, shall we say (Ok, more like my finger to the keyboard these days). Once finals are over and done with, I would like to be able to actually sit down and write; I have various ideas in my head, so I think the hard part will be trying to decide which project to tackle first (maybe I'll do both). There is one that I envision to be a fictional piece; a love story that takes place in a different decade and will ultimately take some research. 


The other idea is a personal essay; not so much for a particular class, but something that I've been wanting to write about for a few weeks. Yet, it has a lot to do with a particular issue that has tends to come up constantly between my friends and I, and I don't want them to view it as a personal attack; when it comes to personal reflective writing, I never mean to attack anyone, but rather try to make a point. Again, that will take some time, as well as a lot of editing. The good news is that I believe the title might just be what I may call my memoir someday; that is, if I ever choose to write one. But right now, I don't feel like I've had enough experiences to actually write about something that will matter. 


Some other goals have a lot to do with just getting out and trying new things; I would like to start meeting more people, and getting to better know the ones that I already have met. Another thing would be getting more involved with the community; admittedly, I went to a couple of meetings and didn't completely follow through with getting involved in some organizations. Perhaps if there is a way at this point, I would like to start volunteering somewhere; I've always enjoyed being around older people, and I believe there is a senior center around here on campus. And although I can't actually make this happen, but if it's something that's meant to be, maybe I can possibly join a sorority chapter of some kind. 


If I could put my hopes for the second semester into one word, it would be ambitious. Ambitious in the sense that I may not just think or dream, but actually do and accomplish. 

No comments: