December 06, 2010

Crafting Words

December 6 – Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?


I can't recall the last time I physically created anything, given that I'm not really much of an arts and crafts person. But in a way, I did create something else, although rather mentally. For the first time in awhile, I actually sat down and wrote a story; I haven't had a whole lot of time while at school due to homework and such, but over Thanksgiving break I was able to sit down at my computer and type out a literary idea that had been on my mind for months. 


It took a couple of days, as any piece usually does for me. This particular work of fiction dealt with love, loss and rediscovery; the main message? That when certain doors close, new ones are always opened one way or the other. Also, that just because something comes to an end does not mean that there won't ever be a second chance. (for any family members or friends that would like to read it, I will gladly e-mail or facebook it to you). 


As I mentioned above, writing is something that takes more than just one day, especially when it comes to writing something that is fictional. I want to make the characters both real as well as a little complex, so I like to draw specific traits from either myself or people that I know. There will be works where my likes/dislikes might be fairly easy to notice. Although I've mentioned this multiple times, writing is a way for giving people an insight to my personality and my life, both in fiction and non-fiction.


I am currently in the process of writing something for one of my classes; it involves something  that I absolutely love to do, but don't get to do it that often. I view it as something that is both emotional, romantic and a little bit sensual at the same time. (No, I'm not talking harlequin romance here...I always try to write things that have substance). Granted it may or may not make family members and close friends blush just a little, but the way I see it, I'm a college student. Writing, I've learned, is not always about being on the safe side. However, I always try to guide myself in being tasteful as well as containing some kind of positive message. 


I am thankful that I've begun to learn how to make time for this sort of thing; that instead of just brainstorming and allowing the ideas to sit for months, I actually sit down somewhere and put those words to paper. It's something that I literally have to carve time out of my schedule for, but nonetheless, I'm grateful that my creative juices are flowing again.

No comments: