January 02, 2010

That's Just the Disney Girl in Me

I was finally able to go see The Princess and the Frog a couple of days ago; let me tell you, despite the fact that it was geared toward little kids (as are most Disney movies) I have to say I really did enjoy it. Ok, maybe it's better to say that I giggled alot throughout the movie, but you get the idea right? Personally, I think it was one of the best Disney movies to come out in the last five years or so. Sure, Pixar has had some pretty decent ones, but I will say that I've missed the princess/fairy-tale type stuff.

Truthfully, I've always loved Disney-related things; alot of my memories from childhood revolved around it. I remember when my Mom took me to see Pochahontas and Toy Story in the theatre. (There've been many more but I'm not going to spend time listing off every single one of them.) Back when VCR's were still widely used, we probably possesed the largest Disney VHS library out of anyone we knew. I watched the sing-along videos and listened to the music on cassette tapes to fall asleep at night. I clung to an Ariel doll when I had to undergo leg surgery back in kindergarten. And when I went to sleep-away camp for the first time (yes, I was thirteen) I took bambi with me. Whether or not I'm taking either or both with me to college is still undecided. haha

There've also been alot of comical moments as well. I've been to Disneyland once and DisneyWorld four times in my life. Each time we've vacationed there, we always come back with at least one halarious memory involving one or all three of us kids. When it comes to me personally, the majority of my extended family members and some friends all know about the "Space Mountain episode."

There is also still the now infamous home movie still floating around here somewhere: Mom decided to interview my little four year-old self before the first time we went to Disney World. Somwhere in there she asks who my boyfriend is, that of which I replied "Aladdin!" before breaking out in a fit of giggles. (Keep in mind, I was only four at the time).

If I had to pick a favorite Disney movie, it would probably be Beauty and the Beast. I've always felt that one had a moral teaching to it; how to love someone despite that fact that they aren't exactly prince charming, and how inner beauty should always prevail over the way we look. Plus I've always someone been able to indentify with feeling like the odd one out, and not really knowing why 

Anyway, coming in close second is The Little Mermaid, as well as Aladdin for obvious reasons.

I'm fully aware that it's not "normal" for someone my age to still enjoy this stuff. To be honest, I really don't pay attention to all the physco-analysis stuff and supposed subliminal messeges that have been somehow tweaked in there over the years. In fact, I actually think it's kind of sad how people (especially kids) seemingly can't be allowed to enjoy Disney anymore. There always has to be some outcry about politcal correctness or how fictional princesses will somehow screw up the emotional well being of girls and young women when they get older. For crying out loud, just let us enjoy the movie!

Over the years, people have asked me "isn't Disney just for little kids?" Up until now I've never really known how to respond to that question. Yeah, it probably makes me appear a little quirky, maybe even weird to some degree. But you know what? It's a part of who I am and if it makes me happy, then I personally don't give a damn about anyone else's opinion. Heck, I still have a few songs on my ipod that I listen to occassionally, and chose a yellow prom dress for a very specific reason (my sister later dubbed it the "Belle" dress).

And not to sound like I take that question seriously, but if it's now acceptable in society for kids to be dressing and acting like they're twenty instead of twelve (and making decisions that they probably aren't mature enough to make) then why can't we older ones be kids every once and awhile?