December 28, 2012

Meaningful (And Intentional) Creativity

Day 28-Creative

How will you honor your creativity in 2013?

One of the big issues I have with being creative, especially in terms of writing, is getting my ideas out of my head and onto paper; or in this current day and age, onto a computer screen. I think one of the reasons that I don't immediately write down an idea or start a piece is because I'm still somewhat afraid to reveal that kind of vulnerability to other people. Most of the time, anyone who reads my work sees a much deeper, passionate, and even emotional side of me that they don't take notice of when they interact with me in person.

But that's what writing is about; being able to connect and resonate with others through ideas, opinions, and stories. I imagine that the more I do it, the easier it will become.

That's why I'm making it a goal to write for at least fifteen minutes per day; it might be a journal entry, a blog, an essay, or part of a story. It might be a little bit of everything. I've realized the more I write, the better I become. The amount of time could increase, but that all depends on how much school work I have and how I use my time for other things.

I would also like to connect with other writers; I'm taking two classes this-coming semester, so I imagine that there will be some workshopping through there. I just feel like I need something that's a little bit more intimate and personal, other than just reading a dozen plus comments on a multitude of copies of whatever I submitted at the time. Plus there is revision, which can take place more than once or twice. It would just be nice to get feedback from someplace other than a classroom or a teacher.

The other thing is this blog; I have been a blogger for four years, and while I feel that my writing style and subject matter have matured, it's as though a lot of it has remained the same. In other words, I'm looking to do different segments about different things. I will still do two, possibly three posts per week. But I want to include variety, such as weekend links/finds, book reviews, or even a series on a particular subject. Right now I don't know how often I'll do it each, because it was largely depend on school work and activities. 

 It seems like a way to spice things up, rather than just do a deep post involving current issues or events. It's overwhelming when written about often, and in order to be well-done, takes more than one day. I will still tackle such subjects, but I want to give myself time and energy to edit them and look over them, as opposed to focusing on hitting the "publish" button before a certain time in the day. 

How did you expand your creativity in terms of writing or blogging? I would love suggestions!

No comments: