June 14, 2013

Friday Finds


The blogging world can be such a double edged sword, but make no mistake that these following articles are powerful. Not only did they make me think, cry, and rejoice, but they also motivated me to take a stand and finally say that maybe I don't agree with certain things. Don't worry, that explanation will happen at some point down the road. But for now, grab a cup of coffee or tea and be willing to open your heart. On another note, be careful with the comment sections...those tend to get very heated.

I am Damaged Goods (via A Deeper Story) 

-A beautiful essay of a journey from sexual shame to Grace; the emotion, agony, and pain that this woman experienced from her church and the people around her is excruciating. Not only is it time to quit with the emotional stoning and unnecessary finger pointing, but it is also time for the "sex is bad" rhetoric to stop. No one should have to endure this kind of criticism, but unfortunately so many do. For now, I'll get off my soapbox and let this amazing writing speak for itself. 

The Distinctions of Lust and Attraction  (via Amy Martin)

-A great interpretation of how to tell the difference between lust and genuine attraction. Beauty is something to appreciate and be thankful for, not feared or ashamed of. 

Disabilities and The Power of Running (via Upworthy) 

-I first heard the story of Dick and Rick Hoyt on a segment of Katie; their beautiful relationship and teamwork moved me to tears and made me smile at the same time! I related to it a lot, because that is how I feel when I dance. 

Loving The Hard to Like (via Relevant) 

-This is a topic that I've struggled and wrestled with for months. While it does not give clear-cut answers, it does give some eye-opening observations. 

The Last Word (via The Week)

-This is the most interesting and unique response I have heard of in regards to handling a spouse's request for a divorce. Sometimes it's not always the other person that causes unhappiness, but our inability to deal with the pain we have caused ourselves.

And while this is not an article, it has definitely made my week. Recently I discovered the app "Happier" which I can only describe as a kind of techy gratitude journal. I can't exactly provide a link, but all you have to do is go into itunes and download it (it's free!) I've only had it for a couple of days and I already sense a change in my overall mood.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

photo credit: VinothChandar via photopin cc

No comments: