May 01, 2013

Junior Year in One Paragraph

I've decided to take part in the blogging challenge, "Every Day in May"! Each day in the next month, I will blog about whatever prompt is listed, but might change it up a little bit. For instance, today's topic is telling your life story in two hundred and fifty words or less. However, my life story is weaved in other posts on here, and since my junior year is drawing to a close, it seems perfect to try to sum up this academic year in just one paragraph. 

Day 1-Story

  Junior year began with caution; after the cluster you know what of sophomore year, I was trying not to set my expectations too high. I decided to live by myself in a one bedroom, and despite the fact that it’s a double edged sword, I am grateful to have a space that I can call my own. I continued with group therapy and joined a new Christian student organization on campus with one of my best friends, which were both difficult and edifying at the same time. I dated and always wished I was with someone else. In November I was accepted into the Creative Writing Track, a very prestigious program here at Iowa. Two weeks into second semester, I finally turned twenty one. I loved (and still do) being able to finally go out without having to do so before ten o’clock or sneak around. In a way, it was like freshman year all over again; so many new things and I didn’t know what to do with it all.  I danced a lot, drank a little, and even had my first kiss. In a month, my confidence level skyrocketed. I officially cut a relationship out of my life that had meant the world to me for the last seven and a half years. I realized that I still do struggle with depression and am learning how to love myself and not care so much about what others think. By being more open about my life, I think I’m opening new doors for myself. And I thank God for that.

I'll definitely write a more eloquent and detailed post about this in the near future, but for now this is what I would consider my third year of college in a nutshell. 

No comments: