October 01, 2012

Soul Friends

I always try to be grateful for the people I have in my life. It recently occurred to me that I have finally come to a place where I'm not questioning who my friends are, along with being confident I'm just as equally important to them. This poem is about those people; the ones I can be completely vulnerable and transparent with and not fear judgement or rejection. For the sake of clarification, family is included in this as well. 


Soul Friends

You can know a lot of people
And get along with just about everyone
But how many of them really see you
How many of them really know?

I’d say I’m pretty good at staying true to myself
I don’t try to pretend to be someone I’m not
Yet I can count them number of people on both hands
Who through the years, have come to know me inside out
With them, I can share my soul

Call it insecurity if you’d like
Or just being afraid
But I’ve realized that I have a lot of layers that take time to peel back
And a lot of history
Not all can understand that
Not all can accept all of me

But the ones who do
I can tell my deepest feelings and secrets to
Be quirky and sometimes do stupid things
The ones, whom when it’s needed,  can look me in the eye and say
“stop, this isn't you!"

We don’t have to talk all the time or be inseparable 
We can go through a lot of changes
Some good, others not so much
And find that we still care for each other
No matter what

When I see a rarity I know it
These blessings in my life overflow
I’m no longer looking but cherishing
Those have left deep footprints in my life
And in my heart, where it counts

I won’t worry about tomorrow
Or who’ll still be around years from now
God gave me you for a reason
And that reason I’m seeing now

No comments: