June 20, 2012

Simplicity: Thoughts Vs. Actions

I hear it a lot: how simplicity is often defined by our choosing to get rid of stuff that we don't need, whether it be material possessions, toxic relationships, and so on. But after I wrote my last post, I began to wonder if it was more than just about creating distance or elimination. While getting rid of unnecessary clutter is a good thing, I've realized that it's not always the answer to peace or contentment. Maybe, just maybe, the true complications that we deal with have more to do with our minds and ways of thinking, rather than just what triggers those thoughts. 


In other words, living simply isn't about getting rid of your problems; it's about choosing to look at the situation in a different way, along with how you choose to handle it.


I will say that it is not something that is easy for me to do; growing up, I had this nasty habit of overreacting and reading way too much into things. I believed that letting go meant completely forgetting, and I didn't know if I could, or even if I wanted to do that. And even now, I still struggle with not getting caught up in crap, as well as fighting constant negativity. 


But lately, I've realized that I don't want to wait for a personal crisis or tragedy to happen in order to fully appreciate what truly matters. Life can be crazy, confusing, and down-right messy...but that doesn't mean that it isn't beautiful. 


So the question one may ask is, what does simple thinking involve? 


To me, simplicity is the following: 


Finding beauty in even the smallest of things, and writing down at least five things that you're grateful for in each day.


Not going through all the "what-ifs" when making a decision; instead, pray about it or go with your instincts. Either way, there comes a point where you really have to just do it. 


Choosing to forgive, regardless if you have received an apology or not; it doesn't mean that what that person did was justified, rather it means that you're allowing yourself to move on


Knowing that you don't have to have it all figured out, and being open to change. 


Laughing at yourself


Telling someone that you care


Having a face to face conversation, even thought it would be easier to just text or call them


Allowing yourself not to be controlled by ridiculous standards of beauty or being good enough


Recognizing what you can control and what you can't


Accepting that there are days when you're going to feel sad, angry and confused about one thing or another. But at the same time, you don't allow yourself to wallow in it day in and day out. 


Praying/letting go,  instead of worrying


Being present and living in the moment


As I said before, it's a work in progress, and I don't always succeed at it. But it's definitely helping me mature and ultimately helping me to make the most out of what I have. 




No comments: