December 17, 2010

Taking Chances and Taking Time



December 17 – Lesson Learned What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?


The biggest lesson I've learned (so far) is that if you want something, often times you have to go get it. And in order to do such, you're going to have to get out of your comfort zone. For me personally, it can be both terrifying as hell, not to mention difficult; I have a bit of an (over) active imagination, and there are times when I will sit there and stew over the "what if's" and possible outcomes rather than just finding out for myself. The key thing is not constantly thinking about it; just do it and realize that regardless of what comes afterward, you're going to be all right. 


I can recall a lot of things that have taken so much courage, that at times I wonder how I actually did it: going to a high school without knowing very many people. Learning how to drive a car. Asking someone to go to prom with me. There are a dozen other things that I've done since going into college as well; things that I've never really thought I would do. 


I've realized that the reward doesn't come from what happens as a result of a taking a chance; it's what we learn and gain in the process. When you start letting go of your inhibitions, you get used to it and therefore, become more comfortable with doing so. I, personally, have gained so much confidence from the experiences that I've had thus far; I've also learned that you really aren't going to accomplish anything or get what you want if you don't have confidence in yourself. 


It has made me feel confident, fierce and dare I say it? rather attractive (and that's putting it appropriately). I'm slowly getting to where I feel as though I can walk walk into a room and own the place. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm getting there. 


It's true that there are things in life that happen on their own. I firmly believe that there are certain things that you can't exactly force (love, for instance), but there are opportunities to find out if it's there. If you see someone that you feel undeniably attracted to; there's just something about them that for some reason you cannot get them out of your head and you always want to be around them....well, go find out if it's actually there. 


There is such a thing as timing, but there is also opportunity. You will only get so many of them, and unfortunately it seems impossible to know when it's right. The only thing you can really do is trust your instincts; if you hear a small voice telling you do it now, you probably should. 


Sometimes you have to do things that completely scare the crap out of you; if you don't, you'll never get anywhere in life.


Which leads me into my second point; that the most worthwhile and beautiful things in life are the things that take time. Sure, you've gotten off your ass and actually introduced yourself, but now you have to get to know them and ultimately build a foundation. You may have taken the first step on your career ladder, but there are still many steps to go. It's going to take time and a lot of effort, and it may or may not be as easy as you think. That in general can be frustrating to me, because I'm not a patient person. When I set a goal for myself, I often think "Ok, let's get the ball rolling here!" but in reality, most things don't just happen overnight. 


The most beautiful things in life: love, friendship, whatever purpose we have....it takes time. And by taking time, you allow yourself the ability to grow, to cherish, and to always remember for the rest of your life.

No comments: