December 08, 2014

Writing with Pixie Dust



As a writer, what piece or project are you most proud of from this year? 



This my friends is a tough one to answer. I worked on quite a few pieces this year (both fiction and non-fiction), and I have to say that I'm extremely proud of all of them, though most aren't entirely finished yet. But if I really had to choose, it would be the reinterpretation of Peter Pan, but from Tinkerbell's perspective. When I started with it, I experienced a kind of excitement that I hadn't felt in years. I'd written fictional stories throughout college, but the subjects were heavy and even depressing at times. But with this particular work, I felt like a kid again: not only was it revolving around a classic that I absolutely love, but there was a kind of wanderlust about it. There were many different directions I could go in, and the idea of incorporating a real-life aspect into a fairy-tale was fascinating. I appreciated the feedback that I received from my workshop group, along with the guidance from my professor in that particular class. 

I could easily write an entire post about the topic, but for now I will say this: I find it sad and disheartening that there are people and groups out there who discourage others from reading literature that doesn't resemble "real life." I get that some do struggle with separating fantasy from reality, but I don't see what's so terrible about getting lost in a beautiful story, particular if that kind of escape helps you to stay sane. That's partially why I wrote about Tinkerbell in the first place; the concept of graduating from college was terrifying and dreadful, and I needed something to help me to stay present. That even though that chapter was soon going to come to an end, there was still time left to enjoy it. That was one of the ways I did so, and I will continue to defend that notion as long as people are still bringing up ridiculous charges against it. 

I had planned on sharing an excerpt, but unfortunately I couldn't find a section that seemed to fit as a stand-alone. However, I do have plans to publish it, most likely as an ebook with other similar pieces (I wrote a modern metro version of Cinderella in another writing class and am brainstorming other ideas). It may not be for a while, but I intend to make it happen at some point. 

And when it does, Dear Readers, you'll be one of the first to know.

photo credit: ♦ Peter & Ute Grahlmann ♦ via photopin cc

No comments: