August 19, 2011

Stream of Consciousness #14

I am now back on campus, living with my roommate in our newly decorated apartment. I'm glad that I moved in a few days ago as opposed to waiting until the weekend, being that I'm still somewhat tired from moving everything in and organizing. At the same time I'm getting a little anxious to get into a routine, so I'm thankful that classes will begin on Monday. 

As I write this, it has been about two and a half days since I moved in; for the most part, things are going pretty smoothly. I haven't gone out on the town yet, but hopefully that will change within the next two weekends. At the moment I'm just getting used to living independently (and by that I mean grocery shopping and cooking along with it). 

The place itself is livable, to put it mildly. However, one thing I've most definitely learned is that just because something is cheap doesn't mean that it's necessarily good. While we were moving furniture in,  our Dad's took a good pass around the place and discovered problems that we didn't think a whole lot about when we were looking back in April. Granted, I realize that's not the smartest thing to do, but we were on a budget as well as a deadline. 

Out of the things that either need improvement or complete fixing, the one thing that genuinely bothers me is the security (or lack of it, I should say). Hopefully we'll get all of it figured out by sometime next week.

But when it all comes down to it, I love being a "big girl" if you want to put it that way. I especially adore my bedroom, where whoever walks into it will probably be able to tell what kind of person I am right now off the bat. And let's not forget that I have one of the most comfortable lounge chairs that I have ever relaxed on in my life!

In the midst of all that, I do remember that I am here first and foremost to get in education. And along with that, I also have goals; there are many, some which might seem rather cliche or are most realistic for freshman college students. So here are the most important ones:

1. Getting (and staying) organized-One of the main keys to success, especially in terms of academics is knowing what needs to get done and when. I've found that when I do something right when I think of it, I decrease the chances of putting it off until later. On the other hand, there are times where I've become overwhelmed at just how much I need to accomplish by the end of the week, or at least a specific period of time. (I actually had a freak-out moment in regards to that just recently, but everything is fine). So I try and split things up in order of importance. 

2. Just Ask-In retrospect, this is a very simple thing to do, yet I made it a lot harder. When it comes to both living it at home and away, I have struggled with being able to ask for something. Whether it be for help or a favor, I was afraid to do it. I didn't want to intrude on other people's lives or become a burden to them; this was (and still is) especially true for my family and close friends. There are people that I met last year that I wanted to spend time with outside of just having class together or running into each other; but again, for some reason I was intimidated enough not to ask them to hang out. The worst thing that can happen in any of these situations is that they either can't or they won't. That is life. 

3. Write and set goals for myself in terms of my career-Now is the time where I need to start looking for internships and looking into serious writing opportunities. I didn't do much of that during my first year because I didn't want to get ahead of myself and I was still adjusting to life on campus. But now that I've become accustomed, I need to put a bit more effort into my future career. 


With all of that being said, I am not sure how often I will be able to blog once school starts. I'm aiming for at least once a week, on the day that I have few classes, but I have no way of completely predicting how heavy my workload will be or what my schedule will be like. So if there aren't many posts for awhile, please bear with me.

Here is to the hopes, the memories and for whatever lies ahead for me this semester!

No comments: