July 23, 2011

Throw It All Together and You Get...ME

Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are our most potent at our most ordinary. And yet most of us discount our “ordinary” because it is, well, ordinary. Or so we believe. But my ordinary is not yours. Three things block us from putting down our clever and picking up our ordinary: false comparisons with others (I’m not as good a writer as _____), false expectations of ourselves (I should be on the NYTimes best seller list or not write at all), and false investments in a story (it’s all been written before, I shouldn’t bother). What are your false comparisons? What are your false expectations? What are your false investments in a story? List them. Each keep you from that internal knowing about which Emerson writes. Each keeps you from making your strong offer to the world. Put down your clever, and pick up your ordinary.

Day 9-My Ordinary

I had to read this prompt several times in order to fully understand what the author was talking about. Even as I write this post, I'm only doing so based on my interpretation of what the author is saying. In a way, it's a continuation of my last post, so it might be best to read that one first. 

I have always been rather aware of the fact that I'm not exactly like everyone else. Not just physically, but on an emotional level as well. However, I've been on the fence when it comes to how I feel about it. It's not something that I'm ashamed of, but I not particularly proud of it either; and by proud, I mean it's something that allows me to be on a pedestal of some kind or to claim that I'm better than others because of it. 

Without being overly specific about it, I would say that my "ordinary" is very much a multitude of things. I have a lot of different interests and enjoying spending time with different groups of people. For example, I can be reading a book one day and then be outside throwing a football the next. It all very much depends on how I feel. 


When it comes to current events, I'm extremely middle of the road. It's not that I don't care to pick a side, it's just that I would like to understand what both sides of an issue are saying before I form an opinion. 


I believe in using kind words, but also have a tendency to be a bit of a smartass; I call it sweet, with a little bit of spice. 


I like variety and having options; that's why I chose to attend a public University as opposed to a small liberal arts college. 


It seems like a lot of young generations (including mine) are under so much pressure to define themselves and/or to be "different" from their peers. My question is, why is it such a big deal? Is there ever a point where a person says knows exactly who they are and has it all figured out? Like it or not, we all change at some point. 


When it comes to being unique and being different, people see it in their own time. I've seen a number of musical artists who appear to be moving heaven and earth to maintain their individuality, yet it's now coming into question as to whether they're being themselves, or just being flat out obnoxious. Take Lady Gaga, for example. I enjoy her music, but some of the songs that she's been releasing after "Born this way" don't make any sense to me. Which leads me to ask, do these songs have a particular message, or is it just for shock value?


And I mean no disrespect to her in any way whatsoever. I think she's got an incredible amount of talent. What I'm trying to say is that there is a line between trying to be your own person and being in everyone else's face about it. If you have a point to make or a message to spread, by all means do so. But at some point, some will become overwhelmed or annoyed and just not want to listen anymore.


But that is why I say just be. I'm not going to constantly worry about defining myself, because I know that I'm in no control over what other people think. Just because you put a label on yourself doesn't mean you'll fit into it.


A friend jokingly once told me, "Alyx, you're just too much to handle!" What can I say? That's just me!


No comments: