January 14, 2011

Authenticity Kick

Ever since I became a serious blogger (and by serious, I mean not constantly complaining or rambling about the happenings in my life) I've always made a point to be an authentic writer; that is, to be real and genuine about what I'm writing. Even when I'm creating fictional stories, I often tend to draw from personal experiences, life lessons and also my own personality traits; despite that a piece may be made up, I do add a lot of myself and who I am as a person into those words. 


I believe in being honest about my thoughts and feelings (hence the name for my blog) as being straightforward about who I am. Most of the time that's much easier to do through writing it down than speaking it. For the most part, it's what comes naturally to me; it also seems like people get a better understanding of me and the way I live my life. That's why I tend to write with so much eloquence and detail. 


Then again, there is such a thing as laying too many cards on the table (especially at one time). I don't necessarily want everyone knowing about everything about me. Plus there are some topics and information that I'd rather keep for private, one on one conversations. It makes me wonder if at times I am almost too honest in regards to what I write on here. 


And as much as I would like to say that I don't care about what people may think when they read this, that's not always true. There are moments where I find myself wondering if friends' or family members opinions of me have changed after reading certain entries. I wonder if people that don't know me very well learn more about me through my blog posts. I wonder if this does anything at all. 


However, when it all comes down to it, I don't completely write this for other people. I write this for me; and as long as I'm staying true to myself, that's all that matters in the end.

No comments: